Sweet Potato Halwa or Ratalyacha Sheera is one of the tastiest halwa’s you will ever get. Do try it out.
Sweet potato can be made use in many ways in our cooking.We mostly use it on vrat or upwas days like Sweet Potato Kheer.It is also considered as good baby food for growing babies.
It occurred to me very late that I can make it as Halwa.That’s why I love internet world.It is just so easy that you come across the ocean of knowledge.
I have used boiled and mashed sweet potato a lot for my kids when they were growing.Ratalyacha Sheera or Sweet Potato Halwa is great food for babies as it satisfied their appetite and at the same time very nutritious.
While using it as baby food, we can use jaggery instead of sugar.Powdered nuts can be used instead of nut chunks.Saffron milk is completely optional, but it always gives nice color and texture to Indian sweet dishes.
|Saffron is richest, fuller and aromatic spice in the world, collected from crocus flower. Know how to shop for Red Saffron and How to use in Cooking.|
The preparation is same as Aloo ka Halwa.Ratalyacha Sheera needs boiling and mashed sweet potato.Instead, of milk and sugar, you can add condensed milk to make it even richer.
Sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin B6.Make sure to sauté/fry the mashed potatoes it gives good texture and flavor
Many high blood pressure, diabetic patients can have this halwa since sweet potato is naturally sweet, very little sugar is required in this recipe.This is one of the healthy halwa to eat as sugar and ghee is minimal use.
- 1 1/4 cups boiled and mashed sweet potatoes
- few saffron (kesar) strands
- 1 tbsp warm milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 1 tbsp chopped mixed nuts
- 1 tsp ghee
- Combine the warm milk and saffron in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan and add the mashed sweet potatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, sugar, cardamom powder and ½ cup water, mix well cook on medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes or till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture and nuts, mix well and cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.