1 cup chana/chickpeas/Bengal gram/harbhara
1 tsp chili powder
1/ 4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
pinch of asafetida/hing
1 strand of curry leaves
1/2 cup onions, chopped
Grind to Paste:
1/4 cup dry coconut, roasted
1/4 cup cooked chana/gram
1/2 cup onions, chopped, roasted
2 –3 big garlic cloves
1 in ginger
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tbsp goda masala / garam masala
1. Soak the chana for about 6 –8 hours or overnight. Pressure cook them with enough water.
2. Combine all the ingredients mentioned and grind to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a deep vessel, add asafetida, curry leaves and onions. Sauté till the onions turns translucent.
4. Add the cooked chickpeas, tomatoes, salt, chili powder, turmeric and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for 10 –15 minutes on medium flame.
5. Garnish and serve with hot white rice or with bhakari or poli.